DISCLAIMER

SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW

SUBMIT

Instagram
Twitter
Facebook
Google+
Pinterest
Desinspiration

Gunkanjima (軍艦島, Battleship Island) officially known as Hashima Island (端島) is an abandoned island in Nagasaki

The island was populated from 1887 to 1974 as a coal mining facility. The island’s most notable features are the abandoned and undisturbed concrete apartment buildings and the surrounding sea wall. The island has been administered as part of Nagasaki city since the merger of the former town of Takashima in 2005. It is known for its coal mines and their operation during the industrialization of Japan. Mitsubishi bought the island in 1890 and began the project, the aim of which was retrieving coal from undersea mines. They built Japan’s first large concrete building, a block of apartments in 1916 to accommodate their burgeoning ranks of workers. Concrete was specifically used to protect against typhoon destruction. In 1959, the 6.3-hectare (16-acre) island’s population reached its peak of 5,259, with a population density of 835 people per hectare (83,500 people/km2, 216,264 people per square mile) for the whole island, or 1,391 per hectare (139,100 people/km2) for the residential district.
Images: Jordy Meow
CJWHO:  facebook  |  twitter  |  pinterest  |  subscribe
Post Info
Notes: 670
← previous next →
  share it